We’re looking for dynamic, results-oriented individuals with a commitment to improving the well-being of children in Malawi to join our team!
No listings at this time.
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Job Category: Full-Time
Language(s) : English/Chichewa
Start Date: April 2019
Yamba Malawi is looking for an inspiring, compassionate and experienced leader to direct our program operations in Malawi.
The Country Director will lead the work of the Program Department and manage all aspects of Yamba Malawi’s Malawi office including overseeing a team of 18 people consisting of experts in orphans and vulnerable children, financial inclusion, agribusiness, beekeeping, poultry farming, finance and administration. This candidate must be a strong communicator, highly organized and able to keep team members motivated and on-task. The Country Director is based in our Lilongwe office and reports to and works closely with the Executive Director who is based in New York, and liaises with Yamba Malawi’s board of advisors in Malawi. The Country Director also serves on the management team, working closely with the Brooklyn-based VP of Development and Communications and Director of Finance and Operations.
This is a unique opportunity to become a key leader during a period of growth for Yamba Malawi. In the past year, we have heavily invested in the launch of a new child-focused poverty graduation program to break the cycle of poverty for some of the most vulnerable families in rural Lilongwe district. This program complements existing community business interventions which provide much needed resources for children’s services. We are looking for a seasoned manager with expertise in at least one of our intervention areas (children’s programs, poverty graduation/livelihoods, entrepreneurship) and who is capable of managing a diverse group of program and admin/finance staff. The person will also serve as the public face of Yamba Malawi in Malawi and beyond. The Country Director will have the opportunity to lead our talented team to strengthen and grow our programs and create transformative positive change in the lives of children, families and communities in Malawi.
● Manage and ensure quality of all programs; ensure that all project deliverables are met in a timely and cost effective manner
● Develop and monitor annual detailed program implementation plan and budget
● Identify opportunities for program innovation and growth
● Ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation systems are in place
● Make regular visits to field sites to monitor the status of projects
● Oversee development of routine program updates and reports
● Identify risks and take appropriate measures to control for them
● Establish and maintain relationships with community leaders, beneficiaries, government, CBO and NGO partners and donors
Human Resources and Operations
● Supervise Malawi staff, and provide direction and feedback
● Promote learning and development of team by providing opportunities for training and capacity building
● Manage and update office policies and procedures
● Foster a strong organizational culture of entrepreneurship, teamwork, learning, transparency and compassion
● Oversee performance appraisals of all Malawi staff
● Serve as main liaison with the Malawi Board of Advisors
Resource Mobilization and Partnership Development
● Represent Yamba Malawi at external meetings including government and NGO-sponsored working groups
● Work with the VP of Development and Communications to prospect grants in Malawi
● Develop reports to support grants solicited in the U.S.
● Oversee the management of any in-kind donations and communications with these partners
● Oversee donor visits
● Work with the Director of Finance and Operations to develop an annual budget for program operations
● Work closely with Director of Finance and Operations to manage office finances including tracking and reporting of expenses on a monthly and annual basis
● Oversee internal and external financial audits
● MBA, Master of Social Work or related graduate degree required
● Minimum of ten years of diverse project management experience including program design, and monitoring and evaluation
● Proven experience supervising team of 10+ staff
● Experience developing and managing budgets of over USD 500k
● Exceptional entrepreneurial, critical thinking and strategic planning skills
● Demonstrated experience with external relations, including establishing and maintaining key relationships with stakeholders such as community members and leaders, NGO partners, donors and government counterparts.
● Experience and comfort with public speaking and ability to represent the organization at meeting/conferences
● Advanced analytical (quantitative and qualitative) and communication (written and verbal) skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional/cultural backgrounds
● Proven experience designing and overseeing M&E systems
● Ability to handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously and to prioritize tasks appropriately
● Humble, approachable and compassionate leadership style
● Ability to motivate and evaluate staff, and foster a supportive, team-oriented environment
● Experience with human centered design and participatory decision making processes
● Knowledge of business management including small and medium sized enterprises
● Previous work experience and knowledge of issues related to poverty, children’s welfare and care for orphans and vulnerable children, and livelihoods
● Language proficiency in Chichewa and English
● Knowledge of poultry, honey production and/or farming preferred
At Yamba Malawi, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to apply:
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Country Director” in the subject line. No phone calls or LinkedIn requests please.